ABI experiences

I really enjoyed learning about Acquired Brain Injuries during our class today. I personally know many people that have suffered from all different types of ABI's, so I liked learning about it in more detail. When I was young I actually watched someone obtain an ABI, so I have always found them interesting. I was at a tumbling competition and the elite tumblers were competing so everyone was watching because they were so skilled. One guy was on the trampoline and did a double back tuck. He barely under-rotated, but just enough to cause him to land leaning forward, so much that it shot him off the trampoline and onto the concrete. He immediately began seizing, and unfortunately a few days later he passed away. Another experience was during my freshman year of high school. A gym class was playing flag football and two of my friends dove for the ball at the same time, colliding heads. The top of one guy's head crashed into the side of the other's. He also immediately started seizing, and he passed away later that day. I also had one of my best friends get knocked out during a friendly boxing match. He survived, but it has been 6 years and he still cannot smell anything. All of these experiences in our community made talking about ABI's almost a taboo subject because so much sadness was caused by it. Although the experiences were traumatic, it sparked such an interest for me in the human brain and the different injuries to it. I'm excited to continue learning more about the lobes of the brain and what functions they effect.

Comments

  1. Hi Caitlyn,
    That's a lot for a community to go through in a relatively short period of time. I think it would be a great way to honor your friends who have sustained TBIs and their families for you to go on to work with individuals with brain injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am sorry you had to experience all of these, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment